Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Biopsy

My prostate biopsy was scheduled for May 15th and I am a wimp when it comes to pain so I chose to be put under (asleep in dream land) and went to the outpatient surgery center in Gainesville,FL for the biopsy. My beautiful wife (who has been so awesome through all of this) of almost 17 years went with me and my sister-in-law from Ocala met us there for support. I was very nervous about the actual biopsy procedure and it it made me feel better to have my family with me. It was also comforting to know that people were praying for me as well, as I am a person of faith, which has helped me through this experience (I credit my parents for this, I was raised in church and really appreciate them). I went into the pre-op area and was prepared for my adventure. I have to say that everyone I have met in this healthcare community at UF/Shands has been very nice and gracious. Well, I fell asleep in the OR and woke up in the post op area. When I woke up I had a big problem, I could not go to the bathroom (#1) and was in pain. Dr.Parekattil did my biopsy and came to see me afterwards and said they needed to put in a catheter to help me. Well, remember I said I was a wimp, the doctor had to put in the catheter while I was awake! This was the most painful thing I have ever experienced, I could tell the doctor felt bad about having to do this, but it still hurt. Afterwards the doctor told me he felt good about my biopsy and was optimistic that everything would be okay. I had to go back into his office the next day to have the catheter removed and that was much easier. We made my follow-up appointment to get my biopsy results on May 29th. My next blog will discuss what happened at this appointment.

No comments: