Wednesday, October 29, 2008

17 Week Update "Life is Normal"

Well, its been 17 weeks since my surgery and life is getting as close to normal as it can get. My incontinence is just about gone and it seems like it was years ago since the surgery. I am feeling better now than I have ever felt in my life. Life at work is back to normal, I have been on business trips to Atlanta, GA, Denver CO and Washington DC in the past 4 weeks and had no issues. I am in my 4th week of training for a sprint triathlon in the first quarter of 2009 and doing very well. My endurance increases each week and I am really enjoying the workouts. I start training in the pool tomorrow and will be adding the bike in the next few weeks. My wife and I hosted a Halloween pirate theme party at our house last weekend and had about 30 people over. I decorated the house with a pirate theme and everyone dressed up as pirates. We had a blast and everyone looked great. I carried the pirate theme over and created a haunted pirate graveyard in most of the downstairs for the trick or treaters on Halloween night. We did one last year and it was great. My son and I had a blast together creating the props and I was impressed with his creativity. My wife and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary on October 19th. We didn't do much, just all hung out together as a family. We are doing our anniversary celebration this weekend by attending the Florida vs Georgia football game in Jacksonville, FL and then staying in St Augustine, FL a few nights afterwards. St Augustine is one of my favorite cities in Florida. As you can see my life is back to normal. For those of you around the world that are reading my blog and communicating with me, I want you to know that being diagnosed is not the end of the world. You have so many choices now that can save your life. I thank God everyday for another opportunity to breathe and for the renewed perspective on life. Whether you have just been diagnosed or your going through your treatment I want you to know that I care about each of you and know what your going through. Don't be afraid to share your story. The more of us who speak up about this disease the more awareness we create and the more lives we can save. Hang in there, Life really is good! And for those of you who haven't been proactive in your screening now is the time to make that appointment. It could save your life!

2 comments:

Kristie Deanne Bailey said...

I am so glad that things are going so good for you!! hope to see you soon

jcarnes said...

More power to you!!
I came home from surgery today very sore and groggy, but in good spirits. I hope to get back to running soon so I can get back in shape, cancer free.
My thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery. Keep up the good work, and keep spreading the word about the need for men to get tested for prostate cancer.

Jerry Carnes
Atlanta