Monday, December 15, 2008

2008 "The Year I Started Living"

I wanted to give you an update on my progress before the holidays. First, I am on cloud nine tonight because my trainer, Amber Toole and myself ran 3.4 miles (34:29) this evening. Prior to that the longest distance I have run in my training was 2.7 miles last week. This means I completed the first 5k+ of my life!!! If you would have told me at the beginning of the year that I would have ran that far I would have told you that you were crazy! My first official 5k race is February 1st at the Ocala Marathon - 5k. I am very excited to complete my first goal of finishing my first official 5k race. I am feeling really well and functions continue to make slight improvement and I have asked Santa for a new bike for Christmas that I will use to complete in my first Triathlon in April, I have tried my best to be a good boy this year!

To everyone following my progress or reading this for the first time, I wanted to wish you a Happy and Safe Holiday Season! Make sure you take the time out of the hustle and bustle to remember the real reason for Christmas. I pray that God will bless each of you who were just diagnosed with Prostate Cancer along with your family, those who are going through a treatment process, all the survivors, and all the families who have lost someone to this disease. I think about you often and promise that I will do all I can to help in this fight!

I am closing the book on 2008, what a year it was for me. I will always remember this season in my life. It was the year I thought my life was over, but it turned out to be the year I started living! I am looking forward to a GREAT 2009, lets go raise some money to fight this disease! Happy New Year!

Keep the Faith, Life is Good!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Darren,

I am so delighted for you that you're going so strong and that your fame as a post-prostate cancer triathelon athlete is assured.

Thank you for referring so many good folks to my new book, Conquer Prostate Cancer: How Medicine, Faith, Love and Sex Can Renew Your Life (at www.ConquerProstateCancer.com).

Your blog and my book and blog are really "running in tandem" when it comes to offering hope as well as practical wisdom both to newly diagnosed patients and survivors alike.

May you and yours have a happy, healthy,blessed new year.

And yes, I really would love to see you in Sarasota, if you come this way.

All the best!

Rabbi Ed Weinsberg

Anonymous said...

Awesome!! God is good!! I am very thankful that things have gone so well for you.. I pray that 2009 is the best year for Darren,Peggy & Tyler Ritch.. Love ya

Unknown said...

Wow, thanks for keeping this blog. My dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer back in the summer had had his prostate removed in October. So far so good. It's so great to read stories of success and hope. Thanks for making the time to share and inform others.

On another note, congratulations on your running accomplishments. I'm a coach for Team in Training and we train many new athletes. The best part of the program (besides raising funds to fight cancer) is seeing people achieve milestones and accomplish goals. Every time I coach a race I cry seeing people achieve things they never knew were possible. So good job! Good luck in 2009 with your ongoing recovery and your racing. Run strong and don't forget to smile when it sucks!

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Robert mary said...



WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Robert Mary
I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was Sicking of
breast cancer and her name is Robert Jane, I and my family have taking
her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided
to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I
find a lady called Sarah peter she was testifies to the world about
the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all
kind of disease and the herbal email was there. So I decided to
contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast
cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I
should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that
there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it
and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I
receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid
for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the
courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to,
before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a
dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very
happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5
million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my
I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now
here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any
kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact
Dr.ogididanspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2347067393105 for the cure, he will help you out
with the problems.

pamela drews said...

I’m giving a testimony about Dr. KOKOBI the great Herbalist, he has the
cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my  breast cancer, though I
went through different website I saw different testimonies about
different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: ‘Many people have
the breast cancer remedy, So why are people still suffering from it?’ I thought of
it, then I decided to contact kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com , I didn’t believe him that
much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed
some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it
(CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery,
he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I
will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him
and I went for check-up 1 week after finishing the medicine, I was
tested breast cancer negative, if you are breast cancer patient or any cancer patient at all. Do me
a favour for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make
sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that
I referenced you.. contact him via: kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com You can also message him on whatsapp +254746618873 and for more info message me @ pamela.drews77@gmail.com