Tuesday, December 2, 2008

5 Month Update "Hero's of Prostate Cancer"

Well the month of November has come to a close and its been 5 months since my surgery. It seems so long ago but I have definitely not forgotten. My family and writing this blog has been a huge source of strength for me. Receiving emails from people around the world, meeting the faces of Prostate Cancer and meeting hero's like Winter Vinecki and Team Winter who are doing such an incredible job raising money for research and creating awareness for this disease. Winter Vinecki (who I wrote about in my previous blogs) has won the 2008 Web MD Health Hero Award. That is an incredible honor and I wanted to congratulate her on the job she is doing, being a 9 year old and taking on this challenge is incredible. Michael her father has been in a tough battle with Prostate Cancer for a while now and I know Winter and the support of his wife and children along with the outpouring of support from people around the world have been a source of strength for him. I personally will continue to pray for him and his family as he continues forward. To read about "Michael's Journey" look at my blog list and click on the "Michael's Journey" link.

In the month of November I turned 42 and was especially thankful during the Thanksgiving holiday this year. We spent time with my family in the smoky mountains and I was thankful we could all be together for another year. I have a lot to be thankful for overall in my life, my incontinence in about 98% better now and I am showing encouraging signs of recovery of my male functions. I have to again stress patience here, the doctor says the average recovery is about 24 months to 48 months. Thank you all again for your support and "Keep the Faith" Life is Good!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Darren

I came across your blog as a link in a PCF email. December 15th will be two years from the date of my robotic radical prostatectomy. I was 48 when I was diagnosed on 9/27/06. I had a Gleason score of 4+3 at the time of surgery. My PSA is undetectable now. It had never risen beyond 2.7.

In addition to a low PSA, none of the docs ever felt anything in the DREs. The thing that tipped them off was the fact that my PSA had risen from 1.6 to 2.7 in a year, and that my two older brothers had PC (they are still alive - one treated with seeds, other with radiation) and my Dad had it when he died. Biopsy showed 4 of 10 samples positive.

The emotions you described were so very similar to mine. Just reading your account brings back some feelings that I'd rather not feel again. Combine that with the anniversary coming up and things are challenging right now.

Its so therapeutic to tell your story. I feel like I have told mine a hundred times or more, and it still helps. Keep blogging. It helps all of us. I kept a journal which was helpful as well.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

Matt Potter
Cheyenne, WY

Anonymous said...

H Darren,
I was diagnosed and had surgery in December 1998 when I was 43. A few months later I had radiation therapy followed by harmone therapy on and off since then. I still have prostate cancer. I feel good. If I didn't know I had prostate cancer, I wouldn't know I had it. Hang in there guys. I am.
Doug

pamela drews said...

I’m giving a testimony about Dr. KOKOBI the great Herbalist, he has the
cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my  breast cancer, though I
went through different website I saw different testimonies about
different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: ‘Many people have
the breast cancer remedy, So why are people still suffering from it?’ I thought of
it, then I decided to contact kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com , I didn’t believe him that
much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed
some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it
(CURE) and sent it to Airfreight Online Courier Service for delivery,
he gave my details to the Courier Office, they told me that 3-5 days I
will receive the package and i took the medicine as prescribed by him
and I went for check-up 1 week after finishing the medicine, I was
tested breast cancer negative, if you are breast cancer patient or any cancer patient at all. Do me
a favour for you to contact him and I will try my possible best to make
sure you get cured, when you contact him, make sure you tell him that
I referenced you.. contact him via: kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com You can also message him on whatsapp +254746618873 and for more info message me @ pamela.drews77@gmail.com